The sun is shining, the sausages are sizzling, and Triple J’s Hottest 100 is playing. Australia day, the time of year where Australians come out to celebrate everything that is Aussie, from thongs, board shorts, beer, flags and of course a day at the beach!
What really makes Australia Day great are the simple things, like having a BBQ with great company and scrumptious food. So here are some tips for the best Australia Day BBQ ever!
The crowning glory at any BBQ is the meat. This year, why not give your guests a flavour experience. Add some tasty herbs such as Table of Plenty’s Lemon & Herb Dukkah or Pistachio Dukkah to your chops. Yum! Goes perfectly with tomato sauce too!
For dessert, who could go past Lamingtons or Pavlova. Add some seasonal fruits over the top to make it that much sweeter.
Finally, the drinks. Fill those ice buckets with a mixture of drinks for your guests. It would be un-Australian not to serve beer, but why not also try some summer cocktails to add variety.
Be the ultimate host and treat your guests to a delicious, icy Smooze cocktail (or mocktail). It’s so simple, all you need is:
- 1 x frozen Pineapple + Coconut Smooze Fruit Ice
- 2 x passionfruit
- 1 x shot sugar syrup (recipe below)
- 1 x handful ice, crushed
- Alcohol of your choice
- Dissolve 3 tbsp brown sugar in a little water to make a liquid of syrup consistency.
- Place all ingredients except passionfruit in a blender and blend
- Add passionfruit and put on lowest blender setting to mix in seeds without damage
- Pour into a tall glass and top with a piece of pineapple, an umbrella and curly straw
Not only is this drink delicious, it is the perfect way to cool down after a long hot day in the sun! So remember this Australia Day, slip, slop, slap
What are your plans this Australia Day?
What will be on your BBQ menu?
Kate and the Stormettes